Valley Railway Preservation Society. Closure of the Sudbury - Cambridge passenger service was delayed while local councils considered providing an annual subsidy; this was eventually refused because of the high cost. In 1846 the Colchester, Stour Valley, Sudbury & Halstead Railway It is now the northern terminus of the Gainsborough Line, which is managed by Greater Anglia, who provide all train services. Railway Company revived the 1847 Act and by a new Act of July Melford to Bury St. Edmunds. Line, Colchester, Stour Valley, Sudbury & Halstead Railway. A full feasibility study was commissioned During the period prior to the First World War, the line saw some of its best traffic with through trains between Cambridge and Clacton via Sudbury. “We are satisfied the Shaughnessy site can work, if that’s council’s direction.”. Line, Click here for pictures of Sudbury goods yard, :[Source: The line from Marks Tey to Sudbury opened on 2 July 1849 and on to Colchester Railway Development Company is to reopen the Trains then shared tracks with the Eastern Counties Railway into Colchester. The shed was demolished in July 1956 but the shed road and water tank remained in use until October 1959. section between Shelford and Haverhill opened on 1 June 1865. There was a large water tank on a brick base at the south end of the platform; this fed a water column alongside the track 50yd south of the station. Please use the eBay category index to the left of this page to view a particular category. After something in particular that is not listed? Linton, Sudbury Directions {{::location.tagLine.value.text}} Sponsored Topics. For more pictures of the Stour Valley Railway see David Underwoods 'The Reshaping of the Stour Valley Line' web site. Staff chose the name The Junction in part because that was the original name of the Canadian Pacific train station across the street from the current arena. On 1 June 1847 further Acts were obtained allowing It was then decided to form a limited company to present There was a smaller brick building opposite on the down platform comprising waiting rooms and toilets with a similar timber canopy stretching the width of the platform in front of the building. This was certainly used for horses and may also have been used for livestock although the pens were opposite the first station platform, some distance away. Sudbury had an extensive goods yard. The Great Eastern Hotel at the junction of Station Road and Great Eastern Road opened in 1849 shortly after the station. How they voted on Shaughnessy East (passed 11-2): Ward 12 Coun. Sudbury station closed on 28 October 1991 and the station was once again resited to the old dock a short distance to the east to allow redevelopment of the 2nd station site. remaining lines from Haverhill to Sudbury followed on 9 August.1865. After the war excursion trains returned once again to Clacton and other seaside resorts. a branch from Melford to Bury Please message us through eBay we will be pleased to assist. Route map drawn by Alan Young. The Great Eastern Hotel at the junction of Station Road and Great Eastern Road opened in 1849 shortly after the station. 2 product ratings - R499 River Bridge MINT BOXED Hornby 00 Gauge OO Superb track scenic item . When the allied bomber offensive began, the lines assumed The station was unstaffed from 15 August 1966, and the station building was boarded up and unused until 1974 when it found a new lease of life as the Sudbury Museum. The freight service was withdrawn from all the stations on the Stour Valley line during the 1960s; the last station to lose its freight service was Haverhill on 31 October 1966. 1 January 1854, the Eastern Counties Railway (ECR) took over the Eastern Stour Valley Railway, Long Melford - Bury St. Tickets from Michael Stewart (except 4772 Roy Lambeth). ahead. However, further changes were imminent and in August 1862 Address. When the line was extended to Cambridge, a new through station was opened on a new alignment to the south and the original single platform terminus became part of the goods yard. With the closure of the Cambridge line on 6 March 1967, Sudbury once again became a terminus, and a buffer was placed across the track near the west end of the up platform which was now the only platform in use. Line, The site is lost under the Kingfisher Clare, Cavendish, Chappel A loop line ran behind the down platform. to be independent from the ECR, sought approval for a line to Located on the up side it comprised a two-storey L-shaped stationmaster's house with a hipped slate roof; this included the booking office and stationmaster's office on the ground floor. Click on the Bus route to see step by step directions with maps, line arrival times and updated time schedules. You don’t need to download an individual bus app or train app, Moovit is your all-in-one transit app that helps you find the best bus time or train time available. It serves The Canadian train. The city, Dario Zulich (the developer) and several appellants are before the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal and most believe Sudbury is at least one year away from any type of resolution. Bartlow, Haverhill, T : (888) 842-7245 Please call 1 888 VIA-RAIL (1 888 842-7245), TTY 1 800 268-9503 (hearing impaired) to get the train arrival and departure time before heading to the station. 2750 Lasalle Boul. Valley Bill was rejected while the Eastern Counties Railway received approval to go Track was still embedded in Great Eastern Road until 1986; and the last evidence of the railway, a weighbridge on the west side of Great Eastern Road, alongside one of the former malthouses, was removed in May 2011. A bitter struggle between the two companies ensued but the Colne After something in particular that is not listed? In 1846 the Colchester, Stour Valley, Sudbury & Halstead Railway Stour Valley Railway' by B D J Walsh. Stour Valley Railway, Long Melford - Bury St. 1860 they were empowered to build a line from Sudbury to Clare At the same time, the Colne Valley Company, anxious The Junction — that is envisioned for the city core. date. Clare, Cavendish, A self-service ticket machine has been provided adjacent to the platform entrance. A member of Sun Media Community Newspapers part of Postmedia Network. & Wakes Colne, See also Colne The freight service was withdrawn from all the stations on the Stour Valley line during the 1960s; the last station to lose its freight service was Haverhill on 31 October 1966. date. Bartlow - Audley End Branch There was also a small brick building with a hipped slate roof on the platform. Arrivals and departures. They also envisioned a gathering spot that would bring the community together. The line to Sudbury survived several further attempts to close it and, after the 1974 energy crisis and the threat of petrol rationing, it was reprieved in the interests of the local community. from Sudbury to Shelford on the London-Cambridge main line, plus and freight. For further reading see: 'The active. The line to Sudbury survived several further attempts to close it and, after the 1974 energy crisis and the threat of petrol rationing, it was reprieved in the interests of the local community. A full feasibility study was commissioned “We have had positive discussions with the Sudbury Theatre Centre and the Sudbury Multicultural and Folk Arts Association,” Wood noted. On 1 June 1847 further Acts were obtained allowing The class 153 Super Sprinter is a single car diesel multiple unit converted from British Rail class 155s. Arrivals and departures. The company was leased to the Ipswich Valley Railway the company to extend from Sudbury to Clare with a branch from The line from Sudbury to Shelford closed entirely on 6 March 1967. Published 1978 by Stour The line from Sudbury to Shelford closed entirely on 6 March 1967. (ticket from Roy Lambeth). However, further changes were imminent and in August 1862 In November 1969 the contract for the removal of the permanent way was awarded to A. Sudbury Junction, your home for Vintage and Modern model trains, Classic Toys, Antiques & Collectables. “The Minto East site is larger and is where we had already indicated the performance and convention centre would go,” Wood noted. Although passenger traffic showed some improvement, it was not enough to overcome the increasing losses being incurred.