here. The room frontages are original to the Rustic and Colonnade levels, with an alternating door and window arrangement. This, opened in 1779, was the market for local handloom weavers and merchants who brought their pieces of cloth for sale here. Read more. By using this website, you consent to cookies being used in accordance with our. After the Industrial Revolution had left the Piece Hall stranded like a beached whale, it was allowed to deteriorate physically and in the 1970s was on the verge of being pulled down. The corner staircases are open well, with stone treads, chamfered underneath to reduce weight, and half landings. John Laing Collection JLP01/08/007475, New Heritage Partnership Agreement Signed at King's Cross Station, Brixton Windmill - Friends of Brixton Windmill. There is no place like The Piece Hall, a recently refurbished building created in the 1700’s to trade textiles and cloth with other merchants. The stone used to form the high, round-arched opening is a type of grit stone rather than the original sandstone. * Historic Interest: the scale and architectural grandeur of this monumental cloth hall serve to illustrate the significant wealth of Halifax at this time, a prosperity generated by the local woollen and worsted industries which the Piece Hall was built to serve. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly. The north entrance in the courtyard elevation is not differentiated other than an increase in span of the inner screen of pillars and columns. The hall was intended for 'the purpose of depositing and exposing to sale the WORSTED and WOOLLEN GOODS manufactured in this town and neighbourhood', and the word 'piece' referred to the pieces of cloth which were sold. The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. John Holdsworth, grandfather of
The south entrance in its present form relates to 1871. Volume 1 of 2: Report, Drawings and Appendices, (17th January 2005). We cloath ourselves from head to foot
(S3282_V_0651), Women outside the 3000th Easiform dwelling to be completed in Bristol, watching the opening ceremony through a ground floor window as a policeman guards the entrance nearby, © Historic England Archive. In 1868 Halifax Corporation acquired the Piece Hall from the trustees after many years of gradual decline in use. © 2020 Halifax Town, Calderdale, West Yorkshire, Business and Community Working Hand in Hand. Entrance from Horton Street. We carry out and fund high-quality applied research to support the protection and management of the historic environment. The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system. Celebrations at the Piece Hall, Halifax, in 1863 for visit of Prince of Wales to open Halifax Town Hall. The north and south sides have two-storeys to the west and three-storeys to the east with part cellars, those on the north side assumed as now hidden. Please send questions, updates, additions to:
The Piece Hall has been a meeting point of Halifax’s commercial, civic and cultural life for almost 250 years. Subsequently two possible sites were proposed. Halifax Piece Hall opened with a song. Explore the many ways you can help to support the incredibly rich and varied heritage. To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge. Cloth market. Now the Piece Hall has new life as a museum and gallery with shops selling antiques and collectables and the central area is used for concerts. There is little more than circumstantial evidence for either; it is known that Carr was associated with the leading figures in the Piece Hall campaign, including the Ibbotsons, Caygill's wife's family, and Caygill's Square was attributed to him, while Leyland describes the Hopes as the main contractors and builders. Entrance from Horton Street. The north entrance has a high, round-ached opening with giant keystone flanked by raised engaged columns and pilasters set on pedestals and high bases, supporting an entablature and triangular pediment surmounted by a decorative urn. Through piecing together the fragmentary documentation, the likely sequence appears to be that the west side was built by 1783 without its entrance and that this was inserted at some time between 1785 and 1787, when an engraving of that date shows the view of the Hall through the west entrance. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Work began on the Piece Hall in 1775, and the Hall was officially opened on 1 January 1779, business commencing the following day.The Piece Hall was designed as a quadrangle with a series of individual rooms along each side and a principal entrance through the North Gate, leading from Caygill Square. * Architectural layout: the Piece Hall combined the security of a courtyard plan with the provision of individual rooms for traders to enable confidentiality of transactions, a layout, which despite later internal alterations to combine some rooms, externally remains visually readable and overall the building is largely intact as built.. Source Historic England Archive. We had coffee and cake before walking round the shops . In an ambitious and exciting new chapter, The Piece Hall is now a new cultural and commercial centre. With ever honoured Wool.". The earliest documented reference to a new Piece Hall in Halifax was a hand bill dated 19 March 1774, which, although it appears not to have survived was quoted in a Town Clerk's speech of 1867, when the Piece Hall was transferred to the Halifax Corporation. The town council decided to convert it into a new wholesale Market Hall. Lived in a garden fair,
Built of local, finely grained sandstone with stone slate roofs.PLAN: a large quadrangular structure built on a site which slopes markedly from west to east and to a lesser degree from north to south. Around a central quadrangle are galleries with Tuscan and Rustic columns accommodating 315 lock-up rooms. At one time there were a number of such buildings in the North of England, although none quite like the Piece Hall. They are built of coursed rubble-stone walling, that to the north-facing exterior wall with eighteen blind arches, nine on each side of the central gateway. The Piece Hall A centre of the cloth trade Halifax had a Cloth Hall and a Linen Hall for many years and businessmen who came to Halifax to sell or buy cloth had long been in the habit of lodging at certain inns, but in 1779 the fine new Piece Hall was built at the expense of local clothiers on land provided by the Caygill family. Brick fireplaces are thought to date from 1870s. This copy shows the entry on 10-Nov-2020 at 03:21:37. Tel: +44 1422 322500. The Piece Hall has stood proudly at the heart of Halifax since 1779 when it was built to support the trading of ‘pieces’ of cloth. The four ranges have double-pitched stone slate roofs. The opening now incorporates an electrically powered lift bridge, fitted in 1970s, which replaced a cantilever bridge installed to permit both the ingress of large vehicles and continued access along the length of the south gallery of the Rustic level.
The middle Rustic level extends continuously around the entire building. The 1976 cleaning has made them much harder to see - in fact the left one seems to have disappeared completely - but the story of the marks left by a murderer goes on.In 1928 the Piece Hall was officially recognised as an ancient monument but it was not until 1972 that the decision was made to restore the building. This resulted in the combining of some rooms to make larger shop units, insertion of areas to light cellars, and the enlarging of the south pedestrian gate to form a vehicular entrance. Again it is appreciated for its distinctive beauty and at the same time it has a purpose. Other contenders are Samuel and John Hope and John Carr. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]. Here the elevations are built of sandstone ashlar.
In 1781an Act of Parliament had been obtained to construct the street now known as Westgate, which was to lead between Southgate and a new entrance on the west side of the Hall. It is octagonal in shape with a cupola and weather vane. These either contain fixed, twelve-pane lights, or twelve-pane lights which are hinged at the bottom to allow the top to be opened for ventilation. It was built as a place for handloom weavers to sell their pieces of cloth, hence the name, and was a replacement for an earlier, smaller, Cloth Hall. They were the Halifax Sunday School Jubilees, the famous Sings, which began in 1831 and continued every five years until 1890, only skipping 1851. Part of the first floor was made into an Industrial Museum (now closed) and Art Gallery, for some more of the space and the rest was converted into shops
They dressed themselves in green fig leaves,
The restored Piece Hall opened to the public on 3 July 1976. For want of better wear;
But we, their sons, are wiser grown,
Halifax's Piece Hall is among the beneficiaries of an emergency grant funding pot from the government. Three large sheds, latrines and urinals were built in the courtyard. At each of the four corners are close groupings of three columns. A lack of documentary evidence means that the architect of the Piece Hall has not been conclusively identified, though the most likely contender is Thomas Bradley. We’ve never been to the Piece Hall before despite living less than 20 minutes away . Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. It’s a great place ,full of history and local myth .