USS Renville (APA-227) at anchor off the coast of South Vietnam, 1966. 22-07-2011 17:43:28 ZULU. She was operated by American President Lines. From March to May 1945, the USS Red Oak Victory (AK-235) replenished numerous vessels of the Pacific fleet. The VC2-S-AP5 Haskell-class attack transports were armed with the 5 inch (127 mm) stern gun, one quad 40mm Bofors cannon, four dual 40mm Bofors cannon, and ten single 20mm cannon. The Victory ship was a type of cargo ship produced in large numbers by North American shipyards during World War II to replace losses caused by German submarines. Richmond's story mirrors that of the nation as it mobilized to fight WWII on the home front. Although initial deliveries were slow — only 15 had been delivered by May 1944 — by the end of the war 531 had been constructed. The British and Canadians used "Fort" and "Park" respectively. , Starting in 1959, several were removed from the reserve fleet and refitted for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. d.setTime(d.getTime() + 60 * 60 * 24 * 2 * 1000);
. In 1951 the ship made one trip to Japan and Korea. After United Victory, the next 34 vessels were named after allied countries, the following 218 after American cities, the next 150 after educational institutions and the remainder given miscellaneous names. Three are now open for tours as museum ships: One is laid up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet. Following a fitting out period, after sea trials, she was loaded with cargo and departed San Francisco for Pearl Harbor on January 10, 1945. Johns Hopkins University Press, 2001. Congressman George Miller was approached, and in 1996 Congress passed legislation authorizing the conveyance of the ship to the Museum Association. The Victory ship were constructed in six West Coast and one Baltimore emergency shipyard that sprang up in World War II to build Liberty, Victory, and other ships. They recognized that the vessel provided a unique opportunity to return a potent symbol of Richmond's past to the waterfront. The RED OAK VICTORY story contributes to the NHL "WWII in the Pacific" theme as a warship and as a site. The last four Victory ships owned by the government are on their way toward the scrapyard. She was commissioned as the USS RED OAK VICTORY, AK235, on December 5, 1944. USS Rockbridge (APA-228) underway in either the Atlantic Ocean or Mediterranean Sea in 1964 conducting either a high line transfer or a replenishment at sea with USS Capricornus (AKA-57). In 1943 a new type of fast emergency fleet cargo ship was designed to replace Liberty Ships and they were given the name "Victory". In 1999, the American Victory was acquired by a preservation group and turned into a museum in Tampa, FL. SS RED OAK VICTORY operated in 1947, and again between 1950 and 1953, for the Luckenback Steamship Company. In 1952, the ship was brought out of "mothballs" to carry military supplies in support of the Korean conflict.
She is the last remaining of only ten ships ordered by the US Maritime Commission to be built for use of the US Navy as an ammunition ship. }
The first of these ships was completed in February 1944 and a total of 531 of these ships were constructed comprising 414 cargo ships and 117 attack transports.
 In addition to the American construction, some ships were also built in British yards, and three hundred hulls in Canadian. document.cookie = "__adblocker=" + (adblocker ? In 1990, the ship was designated a National Historic Landmark. From 1968 until 1998, she was laid up in the Maritime Administration Reserve Fleet in Suisun Bay, California. The Museum Board of Directors worked with the City toward establishing a permanent home for the ship on the City's shoreline. To make them less vulnerable to U-boat attacks, Victory ships made 15 to 17 knots (28 to 31 km/h), 4 to 6 knots faster than the Libertys, and had longer range. She was turned over to the Richmond Museum of History and returned to her new home in Richmond on September 20, 1998. All were oil fired, but for a handful of Canadian vessels completed with both coal bunkers and oil tanks. The ship was named for Lane College, which was established as a high school for black youths in 1882 by Isaac Lane, a bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Jackson, Tennessee. 22.214.171.124 06:43, 18 December 2008 (UTC) Not purchased: built. Stern of the cruiser USS Vincennes (CL-64) is in the background. The ship also saw duty during the Vietnam War.
Victory Ships. script.setAttribute("async", true);
Initially designated EC2-S-AP1, where EC2 = Emergency Cargo, type 2 (Load Waterline Length between 400 and 450 feet), S = steam propulsion with one propeller (EC2-S-C1 had been the designation of the Liberty ship design), it was changed to VC2-S-AP1 before the name "Victory Ship" was officially adopted on 28 April 1943.. The Richmond Museum Association worked to restore her original operational launch condition. On one of its many voyages, the American Victory was caught by ice in Odessa, Russia. USS Sherburne (APA-205) was converted in 1969-1970 to the range instrumentation ship USNS Range Sentinel (T-AGM-22) for downrange tracking of ballistic missile tests. The Liberty was attacked and severely damaged by Israeli forces in June 1967 and subsequently decommissioned and stricken from the Naval Register. After the Korean War, she was again sent to the reserve fleet. The Maritime Blog recently post somegreat photos of the Pan American Victory, as she transited the Panama Canal not too long ago.She was on her final voyage from San Francisco, CA to Brownsville, TX for scrapping. The design was an enhancement of the Liberty ship, which had been successfully produced in extraordinary numbers. She loaded over 10,000 tons of ammunition from the Port Chicago Ammunition Depot, Concord, California and departed for Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. Page last modified:
In 1947, the American Victory was put into the reserve fleet. script.setAttribute("onerror", "setNptTechAdblockerCookie(true);");
Also nationally significant and associated with the RED OAK VICTORY are the employee welfare practices instituted by Kaiser Corporation in the management of its shipyards. Construction and operation of these shipyards, where 747 vessels were built from 1941-1945, transformed the community of Richmond, California. ©Allied Photographers, San Francisco, CA. document.cookie = "__adblocker=; expires=Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT; path=/";
The Haskells were operated and crewed exclusively by U.S. Navy personnel. Because of her excellent condition, the Maritime Administration decided to set aside the Lane Victory for preservation. Four are at Brownsville, Texas undergoing scrapping: A Great Fleet of Ships—the Canadian Forts and Park Victory ship. She then began her career as an ammunition ship and departed Hawaii on February 10 loaded with munitions needed in the Marshall and Caroline Islands. Merchant Marine Veterans of World War II and turned into a museum in San Pedro, CA. She carried military vehicles, telephone poles, explosives, and bombs.